Contra Costa County Serious Felony Lawyer
What is a Serious Felony Offense?
Penal Code Sections that Define Serious Felonies:
As specified in Penal Code (PC) Section 1192.7(c) and PC Section 1192.8 a serious felony is one of the offenses listed below.
Risks of Serious Felony Convictions:
A serious felony conviction puts you at risk for a long prison term. The collateral consequences are also severe. These felonies can trigger a loss of guns rights, loss of your right to vote and the loss of the right to hold a professional license. They may count as strikes, prison priors, negatively impact your immigration status and permanently impair your ability to be employed.
Our Experience Defending Felony Cases:
Our criminal defense lawyers defend against serious felony offenses. We practice locally and statewide. We defend criminal cases in Walnut Creek, Martinez, Contra Costa County which are near our Lafayette office but we regularly appear and courts throughout California.
List of Serious Felonies:
The list of serious felony offenses are:
(4) sodomy by force, violence, duress, menace, threat of great bodily injury, or fear of immediate and unlawful bodily injury on the victim or another person;
(5) oral copulation by force, violence, duress, menace, threat of great bodily injury, or fear of immediate and unlawful bodily injury on the victim or another person;
(6) lewd or lascivious act on a child under 14 years of age;
(7) any felony punishable by death or imprisonment in the state prison for life;
(8) any felony in which the defendant personally inflicts great bodily injury on any person, other than an accomplice, or any felony in which the defendant personally uses a firearm;
(9) attempted murder;
(10) assault with intent to commit rape or robbery; (11) assault with a deadly weapon or instrument on a peace officer;
(13) assault with a deadly weapon by an inmate;
(15) exploding a destructive device or any explosive with intent to injure;
(16) exploding a destructive device or any explosive causing bodily injury, great bodily injury, or mayhem;
(17) exploding a destructive device or any explosive with intent to murder;
(18) any burglary of the first degree;
(19) robbery or bank robbery;
(21) holding of a hostage by a person confined in a state prison;
(22) attempt to commit a felony punishable by death or imprisonment in the state prison for life;
(23) any felony in which the defendant personally used a dangerous or deadly weapon;
(24) selling, furnishing, administering, giving, or offering to sell, furnish, administer, or give to a minor any heroin, cocaine, phencyclidine (PCP), or any methamphetamine-related drug, as described in paragraph (2) of subdivision (d) of Section 11055 of the Health and Safety Code, or any of the precursors of methamphetamines, as described in subparagraph (A) of paragraph (1) of subdivision (f) of Section 11055 or subdivision (a) of Section 11100 of the Health and Safety Code;
(25) any violation of subdivision (a) of Section 289 where the act is accomplished against the victim’s will by force, violence, duress, menace, or fear of immediate and unlawful bodily injury on the victim or another person;
(26) grand theft involving a firearm;
(28) any felony offense, which would also constitute a felony violation of Section 186.22;
(29) assault with the intent to commit mayhem, rape, sodomy, or oral copulation, in violation of Section 220;
(30) throwing acid or flammable substances, in violation of Section 244;
(31) assault with a deadly weapon, firearm, machinegun, assault weapon, or semiautomatic firearm or assault on a peace officer or firefighter, in violation of Section 245;
(32) assault with a deadly weapon against a public transit employee, custodial officer, or school employee, in violation of Sections 245.2, 245.3, or 245.5;
(33) discharge of a firearm at an inhabited dwelling, vehicle, or aircraft, in violation of Section 246;
(34) commission of rape or sexual penetration in concert with another person, in violation of Section 264.1;
(35) continuous sexual abuse of a child, in violation of Section 288.5;
(36) shooting from a vehicle, in violation of subdivision (c) or (d) of Section 12034;
(37) intimidation of victims or witnesses, in violation of Section 136.1;
(38) criminal threats, in violation of Section 422;
(39) any attempt to commit a crime listed in this subdivision other than an assault;
(40) any violation of Section 12022.53;
(41) a violation of subdivision (b) or (c) of Section 11418; and
(42) any conspiracy to commit an offense on this list.
Contact Our Firm Today
If you or a loved one is facing allegations of violent crimes in Lafayette, Contra Costa County, or other areas in California, do not hesitate to reach out to the Law Office of Daniel Horowitz. Skilled legal representation may be able to help you avoid facing time in prison, hefty fines, and a permanent criminal record. Our experienced attorneys may be able to provide you with legal defense and tailored strategies to secure the best possible outcome.
Put our team in your corner! Call us at (925) 291-5388 or contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Tailored Strategies for Every Case
Facing allegations of violent crimes is a deeply challenging experience, both emotionally and legally. Even before a trial begins, allegations alone can have profound and far-reaching consequences for both the accused and the victim. This is why the experience of a skilled attorney is invaluable when it comes to protecting and defending against these accusations.
Recognizing the uniqueness of each violent crime case, our attorneys take a tailored approach when it comes to defense. They meticulously assess the details, identify weaknesses in the prosecution's case, and craft a strategic defense designed to minimize consequences and secure the best possible outcome for our clients. Whether you are facing allegations of assault, robbery, homicide, or any other violent offense, we have the knowledge and experience to provide you with a comprehensive and personalized defense.
Certified Criminal Defense Specialist
Daniel Horowitz is a certified criminal defense specialist. On high stakes cases Daniel works with Dan Russo and Carmela Caramagno who are also certified criminal defense specialists. This title is not self created. It is a designation of criminal defense achievement issued by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. There are thousands of criminal defense lawyers, thousands of federal defense lawyers but only several hundred State Bar certified specialists.
Dan Horowitz handled my complex business issue with magnanimity, compassion, care, promptness, and utmost professionalism. I'm an Attorney and would highly recommend him to other professionals (and others alike) because he's the very BEST at what he does and has an uncanny knack at finding unique resolutions with unparalleled speed and efficiency. What is quite outatanding is that he treats each client with kindness and compassion as if a family member- Lovely K.
I cannot express enough gratitude for the outstanding legal services provided by Daniel Horowitz. He not only possesses an in-depth understanding of the law but also demonstrated a genuine commitment to me. He took the time to listen attentively to my concerns, providing clear and concise explanations of the legal processes involved in my case. He made me feel heard and supported during this tumultuous time. What impressed me most was his unwavering dedication to achieving the best possible outcome for me. The attention to detail and strategic approach to my case were evident at every stage. I am eternally grateful towards Daniel for what he has done for me and I wholeheartedly recommend his services to anyone seeking legal representation. Thank you Dan- Kento T.
Daniel and his team did an excellent job. He was always readily available to take my call and provided peace of mind through a stressful situation.- Reid V.
My experience with Dan was great. I appreciate the knowledge Dan has and the professionalism they exhibit. I would highly recommend the Law Office Of Daniel Horowitz. My family and I are truly grateful we worked with him.- Brandon D.
There are lawyers and then there are real lawyers. Dan Horowitz is a real lawyer in every since of the word. Dan is a Certified Specialist in Criminal Law. You will not find very many attorneys having such recognition especially one that hits on all cylinders as Dan. In addition to his knowledge of the law and his experience, which I found to be unmatched, i appreciated the fact that he at all times is genuine, which for me says it all. Thank you Dan.- Cory N.
“The Best Attorney I Could Have Asked For.”- Katherine Ryken
Dan Horowitz was the best attorney I could have asked for during a difficult time in my career. From the moment I met him, I felt believed, respected, and safe. He and his team were endlessly responsive and empathetic to me and my family. He fought for my case day and night, always keeping my best interests at the forefront of his mind. As I learned from Dan, it is never a good time in oneâ€™s life to need legal representation - but if you need it, Dan is your person, your advocate, and your best friend. We are forever grateful for his tireless commitment to justice for the people.- Katherine R.
He is approachable but serious. Mr. Horowitz is the perfect balance of what someone wants in a lawyer. Not only is he approachable enough to gain and value your trust, but he's a bulldog in the courtroom. Despite his kindness, I have never once doubted his ability to provide me with THE BEST representation in court. I'm so thankful to have found a lawyer capable of such a delicate balancing act.- Molly A.